Sunday, August 31, 2008

I'm sure you're wondering why I posted that poem yesterday. Well, I'll tell you. Someone sent it to me and I just loved it. It brought back memories of when I was working at the hospital. Most of my patients were older men. All alone, facing open heart surgery, no family, some were confused and some just mean, and some didn't make it. I remember thinking, while taking care of them, or wrapping their body, this was someones baby, this was someones "love of my life". This was a baby boy with his whole life in front of him. This grumpy old man was probably the cutest little guy when he was just a boy. How sad to be all alone now. How sad not to have someone with you that loves you. A mom loved this man many many years ago. A mom hugged and kissed his face and told him she loved him. And here he is now, all alone.
That poem just brought back all those memories and I needed to share it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that poem and how you felt about it. Such true words!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, What you wrote here is so true. It brings tears to my eyes. I always wonder how the elderly survive when they don't have anybody to look after them when in a hospital or home. I'm so involved in my parents life, I hope my children will do the same for me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. And I apologize for the late comments, I just now have access to a puter! Sorry I missed seeing you on this trip, maybe in December I can finally meet up with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must have read the poem 5 or 6 times the other day. Each day it touched me. As crazy as it sounds, I see elderly people who are alone all the time. Many of them come to the bank each day. Why? They never see their family. They never speak with their family. The bank is one place they can go to for conversation.

    Each time an elderly person is in front of me, I remember that someone took care of my grandfather when he went in to take care of his business. Yes. I saw him & spoke with him, but it hit me how many don't have family to be with. Many times I just want to cringe because I have things to do, but then I remember that this person needs some time with a person who will just take time to be with them.

    Thanks for sending out this remarkable reminder.

    ReplyDelete