Friday, February 5, 2010

The saga of the Ducky Eggs











The ducks lay about a dozen eggs in the pot in our front yard every 6 months. The kids love to see the eggs in the pot and feed the mommy duck when she decides it's time to sit on the eggs. Before that time, the kids count the eggs everyday, always surprised to find more and more eggs filling the pot. The last time though, someones dog, which should have been leashed (that's the law here in our city) got into the eggs and ate them. We found all the poor little half developed duckies all over our yard...but I digress...




We haven't has eggs in awhile. Last week as we pulled into the driveway from picking up Ryan after school, Paisley said " come see the eggs mommy" I said, "Paisley, there are no eggs" and she said " Yes there are! Come see them!" So, being the good mommy I am, I took her hand and she walked me around the truck to the "duck pot" as we call it. And low and behold there were 2 VERY WHITE eggs in there ( Ducky eggs are more cream color and bigger than the ones I was looking at). I asked her where the eggs came from and Miss Paisley, as proud as could be said "I put them there, we want baby ducks" I asked her where she got those eggs and when did she put them in there? She told me she got them from the fridge and Amy let her out the front door to put them in the poi so they would have baby ducks! So, we had a nice little talk about where baby duck eggs really come from, NOT THE FRIDGE, and how we NEVER go outside without mommy or daddy, and AMY got a nice talking too also about taking the chain off the front door! I have no idea where I was when the 2 little imps got out the door. I left the eggs in the pot for Mike to see, it was really cute...you had to be there I guess...




But the next day, as we were coming home from picking up Ryan after school I noticed broken eggs! Yep, she had gotten out again and this time she had broken the eggs to get the baby ducks out!! I guess my talk about the difference between fridge eggs and duck eggs didn't sink in because she was really expecting to see some baby ducks in those eggs.




And yes, I know we need to re landscape..that's on the Honey~Do list .

1 comment:

  1. ah, that's a cute story!
    Paisley would be in her glory at Great Aunt Jan's house with all of her chickens that do lay eggs!! :)

    ReplyDelete